Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday Seven - the last 7 books I read

The Writer's Festival is in town! The Sydney Writer's Festival that is.
And every time I turn on the radio - to ABC radio national or 702 it seems there is some event coming from Walsh Bay.
Quite apart from the events I have been to myself - Monday: a full day up at the lovely Carrington Hotel in Katoomba and then I took hub to a talk by William Mcinnes one of our favorite actors and author of some funny and insightful books.

I seem submerged in literature!

So today I'm sharing the last 7 books that I have read - some of them are book club books, some are my choice and one was a present from the aftermentioned hub.

1. NW by Zadie Smith.



To be fair I am actually still reading this, but since it is fresh in y mind I thought I would draw it to your attention.
I have read, or tried to read her first book White Teeth and I just didn't get on with that at all.
But this was a bookclub book....so I thought I should give her another go....and yes, I like!
Not sure that I understand...but I will persevere.

2. Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage by Hazel Rowley.



Another bookclub choice.
Not everybody's cup of tea, but I do enjoy reading biographies - if they are well-written.
This is.
It opened up a period of American history that I know little about introduced me to the amazing and surprising Eleanor Roosevelt.

3. Norwegian by Night by Derek B Miller



It was OK. A bit of an action thriller at the end - but nicely written and for the members of out book group who are familiar with Norway, it was very evocative.

4. On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry



This was my bookclub choice as I heard Sebastian Barry read from it last year at the Writer's Festival and he did a really rousing reading!
Was It as good a read as I expected?
Probably not, but still a good story, well told.

5. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier



A golden oldie!
It was a blast from the past to read it again and I quite enjoyed it.
Is the (nameless) heroine just a teeny bit annoying?

6. The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas



I was attracted to this book because of the title! The Kashmir bit!
I have long wanted to go to Kashmir and I was near there last year when I went trekking in the Himalayas.
And indeed a part of this book is set in Leh and Ladakh which is where I went.
It is a quest story, partly set in the present day and partly in the 1940's, just before India gained independence.

7. May We Be Forgiven - by A M Homes



This book is *wow* - an amazing roller-coaster ride!

Have you read any good books lately?

Feel free to share in the comments or if you blog about reading please share your blog as well.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...