Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday Friends - Marg Turton, Black Cockatoo Ceramics

I'm a bit excited today, because I have an awesome potter for you to meet!
I'm a huge fan of pottery and was a bit of a potter myself once (but only a little bit of one!)

So here we go!



Who are you and what do you do?

Hi, my name is Marg Turton and I am Black Cockatoo Ceramics!  I make ceramics, mugs, bowls and teabowls that reflect the natural world. I decorate my pots with handpainted birds, insects and anything else that catches my eye.

portrait by Blue Mountains artist Gerlinde Thomas

 Who or what inspires you?

The natural world inspires me most including our incredible Blue Mountains environment.  I am inspired by many people. In the Blue Mountains we have some amazing potters such as Peter Rushforth and Susie McMeekin.  I also love old Japanese and Korean ceramics.  

Your signature or favorite item

My favourite piece I have made is a celadon bowl with applied insects. I find it very hard to replicate the glaze quality that I achieved on this piece. That is always the challenge to reach for the best shape, design and glaze.



What do you most enjoy doing? 

Playing with mud!  I love the elemental aspect of potting: earth, air, water and fire all play a part in the creation of a pot.


What you would rather be doing?
I am very lucky that I am doing what I enjoy, so, apart from exploring the bush and other wild places, I am happy doing what I am doing now.



Where you see yourself in 5 years time?

Hopefully having more time to make pots, and experiment more with different glazes.

How did you start along this road?

I first started potting over 30 years ago with a potter in Glebe. Then when children came along we moved to the Blue Mountains. I obtained my degree in Environmental Science (I am an ecologist by trade), then I realised that I had really missed potting and being creative. I went back to TAFE and did a certificate course in ceramics and have done it ever since. It can be hard to allocate time to it, but I go a bit crazy if I cannot get muddy every once in a while!



5 words of advice for others

Make what you enjoy making!

Anything else you'd like to add.
 
My pots are available from the ‘Nook’ in Leura, and at ‘Number 47’ in the country town of Rylstone.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that Marg's pots are fabuous and if you'd like to find out more pop over to her facebook page or check out her etsy shop - 

Facebook: www.facebook.com/blackcockatooceramics
Etsy:  www.etsy.com/shop/BlackCockatooCeramics
Email: blackcockatooceramics@gmail.com


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...