Friday, November 15, 2013

Suzanna Coombes - adventures in metal and stone. Friday Friends

I'm a big fan of the work of today's Friday Friend....I possibly own 3 of her rings and my daughter has earrings....and I could easily acquire more!
Not only that but she is a beautiful person.


Who are you and what do you do?

My names Suzanna Coombes, and I make jewellery from silver and semi - precious stones, some not so semi and some not  so precious.
I also do some lapidary and stone carving. My work has a strong focus on Australian stones ranging from local sapphires, opals and quartz, to the lesser know jaspers, agates and chrysopraises.



Who or what inspire you?

Beautiful things; colours, shapes, and ideas. Nature. All of it. Seeds, ferns, flowers and symbolic motifs.



Your signature or favorite item?

At the moment into faceted stones the bigger the better.
Rings, love big bold rings.



What do you most enjoy doing?

Figuring out how to make them big bold rings and gardening.



What you would rather be doing?

Eating but its actually possible to do both at the same time.

(I like Sue's style!)

Where you see yourself in 5 years time?

Good question don’t know the answer.

How did you start along this road?

I always loved making things, anything really. In the 80`s I went to a Drop In for young unemployed youth in Rozelle. There was a guy there teaching silver jewellery making, so I joined in.
Starting with a few tools at home I soon realised I needed some help and a lot more tools so I ended up at Randwick TAFE for 2 years to studying Jewellery design.
After a 10 year gap spent designing clothing and fabric prints I eventually rediscovered my silversmithing and haven’t looked back.



5 words of advice for others?

Eat lots of green vegetables and have fun.

5 things you would say to other new artists/crafters/home businesses.

Stop doing the house work, go make.
Turn the phone off.
Make set times for facebook (including candy crush) and stick to it.

To see more of Sue's work visit her on-line shop over at metalandstone.etsy.com.

You can follow her on facebook https://www.facebook.com/suzannacoombesjewellery

Or if you are in the Blue Mountains you can see a selection of her designs at The Nook Leura.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...