Wednesday, December 5, 2012

#reverb12 My dream destination - quite a story!

What was your dream destination in 2012? And why?

This is easy!

28 years ago I was nearly all set to go trekking in the Himalayas...but then I met Mr planet...and we went to England instead to meet my parents...and we bought a house and then we got married and then we had kids and we lived in the US for a while...and then we had no money...so I didn't go to the Himalayas then.

Fast forward to 2 years ago....we are now empty nesters...we inherit some money....we book a trek to Ladakh which is in the Indian Himalayas.
We are packed ready to go...and then - disaster!
You remember when there were really, really bad floods in Pakistan? Well the awful weather also affected Ladakh and there were floods and mudslides and we couldn't go - our trek was cancelled.

I was distraught - but I shouldn't be so selfish because it was so awful for all those poor people in Ladakh and Pakistan.

Anyway the trekking company offered us another trek in another part of the Himalayas - in Sikkim, in October.
So we went.
And it was great! But it was also very hard.
I said I couldn't do it again - you know - a bit like childbirth!
But as with childbirth, after a couple of years you forget the pain, you think "aw, it wasn't so bad".
You remember the beautiful mountains.....

So, this year we went to Ladakh and we trekked.
And it was tough and tiring and amazing.

I had dreamt of going to the high himalayan desert for nearly 30 years and this year I achieved my dream.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...