Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On my bookshelf

These are some books I have recently finished reading and they are on their way from my bedroom (my reading room) to the downstairs bookshelves (the library)


It seems I am a bit of a non-fiction reader!

5 of the 6 books are non-fiction and only 1 novel.

The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow by AJ Mackinnon one of the funniest books I have read, is the story of the author's journey in a small sailing boat form the heart of England to the Black Sea.
And his other book The Well at the World's End is another rip-roaring trans-global adventure.

I guess I'm a bit of an armchair traveller and have shared many of Dervla Murphy's adventures. The Island That Dared is her account of Cuba which is fascinating, if a little history-dense!

Three Cups of Tea I bought at one of the two excellent bookshops in Darjeeling! (where else?). It had been recommended by one of our fellow travellers and is the story of mountaineer Greg Mortenson's
journey to built schools in Pakistan. As an affirmation of what can be done when you set your mind to it - it's awesome!

A friend with Tasmanian connections lent me Carnivorous Nights - on the trail of the Tasmanian Tiger. Having just returned from Tassie I could relate to a lot of the places and this book is so well written, I highly recommend it!

And lastly my fiction pick! I heard Roberta Lowing talk at the Sydney Writer's Festival and was quite smittne with the idea behind her book and the passage that she read. However it didnt really hold my attention - I did finish it - but didnt feel very satisfied. Oh well, thems the breaks!

What are you reading?
Are you a fact or fiction reader?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...